When trying to change their work habits or transition into a leadership role, people often turn to books for suggestions on how to enhance their professional skills. These books are so popular that Amazon has an entire genre dedicated to the improvement of leadership abilities. Professionals and employers traditionally place a high premium on the ability to lead, and so we wanted to know which books people are most likely to turn to for recommendations on improvements they can make.
To find out, we looked at Amazon’s list of bestselling leadership books. We compiled a list of these bestsellers and analyzed Google Search Volumes for each title, identifying the most searched book in each U.S. state. Here are the results of our research.
Of the top 25 bestselling titles in Amazon’s Leadership genre, only 11 proved popular enough to be the most recognized title according to Google Search Volume. These titles included:
- Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success
- Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
- Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
- Find Your Why: A Practical Guide for Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
- The 48 Laws of Power
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
- How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
The titles were represented throughout the United States, but Find Your Why: A Practical Guide for Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team was the overwhelming winner, having the highest search volume in the Midwestern, Western, and Southern regions. Only the Northeast proved unique in its leadership book preferences. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking turned out to be the most-searched leadership book in five of the 10 Northeast states.
The overwhelming winner of search volume for leadership books was Find Your Why: A Practical Guide for Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team. This book was the most searched of the Amazon bestseller list in 22 states. In second place was Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, with 7 states searching for that title most often. Just behind Blink was The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People with 5 states.
The overall goal of all of these books is to give members of the workforce the tools they need to drive success in their professional lives and develop positive habits that encourage benefits in many different aspects of life. So, if you’re looking for ideas on how to jump-start your own career or overcome a current difficulty, any of these books will offer insight into changes you can make to reach your goals.